Thursday, February 21, 2013

Chiffon Cake Reprise

The most challenging thing for me that we have made so far in my pastry class was the chiffon cake. My icing and piping skills still need work. I thought it would be a good idea to practice making one by myself. The cake itself is unchanged from the recipe in the previous post.

I did want to play with the flavors a bit, however. Since I did not have any of the commercial raspberry filling we used in class, I needed to do something different. I had some strawberries left over from Valentine's Day. I mashed those, and made a quick strawberry jam.  Instead of the lemon syrup, I made a mandarin orange syrup to soak the cake with. I also added the zest of a mandarin orange to the Swiss butter cream frosting.

To decorate the cake, I dipped blanched almonds in dark chocolate melted in a double boiler.




Recipes

Quick Strawberry Jam

1 cup mashed strawberries
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
pinch kosher salt

In a sauce pan over medium  heat, combine all ingredients. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook until mix reaches 220 F. Transfer to a metal bowl in an ice bath.

Mandarin Orange Syrup

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
juice of one mandarin orange

In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine all ingredients. Bring just to a simmer, making sure all the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and allow to cool. Strain.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment