Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Chocolate Class: Another Molded Chocolate

Originally, the plan for last Thursday was to begin making our final project. We were supposed to make a chocolate box, decorate it, and make a dozen chocolates to go into the box. I spent the morning making a plan. I had a pattern I was going to pipe into the top of the box, and I had my recipes ready to make yellow modeling chocolate for a rose, and for the filling for my chocolates. I wrote out work schedules for both days.

When I go to class, I found that plans had changed. Chef was unhappy with the process on the day before, and felt we needed more practice before the practical. The practical was scaled back to just one day, and the box was eliminated, leaving only the molded chocolates for the final.

Instead, we made more molded chocolates. This time we made a passion fruit ganache to fill them. To decorate, the molds were flicked with brushes dipped into melted cocoa butter with red and yellow coloring. Once that was set, the molds were filled with dark chocolate, then emptied to create a shell.

They were then filled with the passion fruit ganache, then had a tempered chocolate foot added.

Once that set, the chocolates were unmolded.


Recipe courtesy of Chef James Foran.

Passion Fruit Vanilla Bean Ganache

1 vanilla bean, scraped
5 oz. passion fruit puree
3 oz. heavy cream
2 Tbsp. corn syrup
2 oz. salted butter, softened
21 oz. white chocolate

In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine vanilla bean, puree, cream, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil. Strain over chocolate.

Let stand two minutes. Whisk gently to combine. When smooth, add butter and whisk until smooth again.

Cool until thick enough to pipe.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment