Thursday, September 6, 2012

Three Meat Loaf with Yogurt - Dill Mashed Potatoes

 
Last night I was in the mood for comfort food. Being raised by a single mother, we were frequently cash-strapped.  Meatloaf was a way to stretch cheap meat even further. But, like a lot of less expensive things, it is also a vehicle for great flavor.

I like to use a mix of ground meats in  mine. This one had chicken, beef, and mild Italian sausage.  I used the course bread crumbs collected the last time I cut up old bread. I like herbs in my meatloaf, so there is rosemary, time, basil, and oregano in  it. To add umami, I like to use mushroom ketchup, but Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, even various fish sauces work as well.

I added non-fat Greek yogurt and dried dill weed to the potatoes.  It made them creamy, and the tang was a good match for the meatloaf.

For greenery, I made a salad with heirloom yellow tomato, banana and cherry peppers, celery, and mixed sprouts.

Recipes

Three Meat Loaf

1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground chicken
1/2 lb. mild Italian sausage
2 medium eggs
1 cup course bread crumbs
2 Tblsp. mushroom ketchup
1 tsp. dried rosemary
2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. kosher salt

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all ingredients, press into an ungreased non-stick loaf pan.  Bake 45 minutes, or until completely cooked.  Remove from pan, let rest for 5 minutes, slice on the bias to serve.

Yogurt - Dill Mashed Potatoes

4 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
2/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
2 Tblsp. dried dill weed
2 tsp. kosher salt

Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until tender. Drain, return to pot. Add yogurt, dill, and salt.  Mash to preferred consistency. I prefer mine a little rustic, so I can tell they were real potatoes.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment