Friday, September 7, 2012

Tortelloni with Carrot Green Pesto





I love when you can use something that many people would throw out, like old bread, or vegetable trimming (but that's a future post). In this case, we are talking carrot tops. They have a wonderful green taste, like a mild parsley. They can be used in salads, but I've found that they make a superlative pesto.

For the side, I sauteed together mushrooms with green and cherry peppers, garlic, and red onion.

I did use a commercial  chicken and cheese tortelloni. Tortelloni are ideal for pesto, as they have lots of nooks and crannies to pick up the pesto.  I boil the pasta, and drain it when it is perfectly al dente. Once drained, I return it to the pot, and toss it with the pesto.

I like to strip the leaves off the stems, as the stems are a little tough. For nuts, I find that toasted pecans work great, although this time I used a mix of hazelnuts, pecans, and almonds, because that is what I had in the house.

Carrot Green Pesto

3 cups carrot fronds, rough chopped
1 cup chopped nuts
1 Tblsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 cup olive oil (approximately)

Place all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor.  While food processor is running, drizzle in olive oil, about a teaspoon at a time, until pesto is smooth.

Happy Eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment