Saturday, January 26, 2013

Ancho Chile Polenta and Black Bean Hash with Poached Egg

A great way to use up leftovers is a hash. Generally it uses potatoes, but other starches will work. I still had a fair amount of the ancho chili polenta from the other day, and also some of the black beans. I diced the polenta in about 1/2 inch cubes, and fried it in olive oil until brown. I added some minced green onion and garlic, and the leftover beans, which had onion and cumin.

I've been trying to get the hang of poaching eggs. I've been incrementally getting better, but then I found this method, which I found worked quite well. I used a large (14") straight-sided skillet. I put in about 1 1/2" of water, a teaspoon of coarse sea salt, and 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar. Bring the water to a good boil, then remove from heat. I previously broke the eggs into ramekins. It is generally advised that it takes the freshest eggs to get them to poach right. When the water reduces to a simmer, gently pour the eggs in. I could comfortably get three eggs in the pan, I think with practice I can easily get in four. Cover the pan. I let it sit for 7 minutes, and my yolks were mostly solid. Next time, I will try 5 minutes. Shape-wise, these were the best poached eggs I've made. I will definitely be working this method again.

Ancho Chili Polenta and Black Bean Hash

2 cups Ancho Chili Polenta, cubed
1 cup cooked black beans
1 large green onion, minced
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil

In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Fry polenta cubes until golden brown. Add garlic and onion, cook until tender. Stir in beans, cook until heated through.

Serve with a poached egg on top.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment