Saturday, April 13, 2013

Angel Hair Pasta with Carrot Green, Dry Jack, and Pistachio Pesto

We picked up some lovely carrots at the El Cajon Farmer's Market the other day. They add lovely greens, so I knew I'd be making pesto soon. I've made pesto with carrot greens before. I really love the sharp, parsley-like flavor of them.

This time, I used dry jack cheese, and pistachios. This may be my best pesto, ever. The dry jack adds a lot of umami and a real depth of flavor. The pistachios add just enough sweetness to balance out the mild bitterness of the carrot greens.

I tossed the pesto with some whole grain angel hair pasta, and a little olive oil. To accompany the pasta, I sautéed some onion, garlic, cherry tomatoes, and broccoli. I flavored the vegetables with a little dried thyme and basil.

Carrot Green, Dry Jack, and Pistachio Pesto

3 cups rough chopped carrot greens
3/4 cup shelled pistachios
1/3 cup grated dry jack cheese
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/3 cup olive oil (approximately)

In the bowl of a food processor, combine greens, nuts, cheese, and garlic. While processor is running, drizzle in olive oil, until pesto is smooth. Add salt to taste, process a few more pulses.

Happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment