Sunday, May 12, 2013

Apple, Pear, and Sour Cherry Compote

I wanted to make an interesting accompaniment for breakfast. I was planning on bacon and Cheddar omelets, but I did want some fruit to go with them. I had a couple of ripe pears that needed used, and plenty of apples. I added some canned sour cherries and raisins. I used some sauvignon blanc and a little of the juice from the cherries for the liquid. I flavored it with a little ginger, cinnamon, and cayenne powder.

I cooked it down until most of the liquid was gone. I served it warm with the omelet.

I liked this a lot. The pears were good and ripe, and the cherries added enough acid to balance it out.

Apple, Pear, and Sour Cherry Compote

2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
2 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
3/4 cup canned sour cherries, drained
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups dry white wine
1/2 cup liquid from cherries
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne powder

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender. Continue cooking until most of the liquid is reduced.

No comments:

Post a Comment