Saturday, May 18, 2013

Buttermilk crepes with Sour Cherry - Cream Cheese Filling

Today, and this whole weekend, will be crazy busy while the spouse and I are preparing for Potrero War. Besides all the usual stuff, we are helping cater the wedding of a couple of friends. We also need to help provide snacks for a special event.

To help the spouse get going, I made breakfast. Thinking about what was available, I went with filled crepes.

I cheated for the crepes. I had some Krusteaz Buttermilk Pancake Mix. I put about one cup in a bowl, and slowly whisked in milk until I had a nice thin batter.

For the filling, I mixed together cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and sour cherry preserves. I whipped them together until smooth.

To finish the crepes, I made a mixed citrus syrup. I used lemon, strawberry orange, and key lime juice, sugar, and lemon and strawberry orange zest. I simmered it a bit, then strained the syrup and put it in an ice bath to cool quickly. I lightly drizzled the plated crepes with the syrup.

I think these came out well. I love sour cherry anything, and the citrus syrup really helped brighten the flavors.

As a side note, about a tablespoon of the syrup in a tall glass of iced tea is very refreshing.

Recipes

Sour Cherry - Cream Cheese Filling

8 oz. by wt. cream cheese
2/3 cup sour cherry preserves
1/4 cup Greek yogurt

Place all ingredients in a bowl. Mix thoroughly, until smooth and light.

Mixed Citrus Syrup

juice of one lemon
juice of two strawberry oranges
juice of  3 key limes
zest of one lemon
zest of two strawberry oranges
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil. Turn down to a slow simmer. Let cook until lightly thickened. Strain into a metal bowl, place bowl in an ice bath until syrup is cool.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment